Volume X: Catholic Education
By offering a summary of Church documents on Christian education, the compilers of the present collection render a valuable service to all those who are in any way engaged in the field of education and evangelization. For who can doubt that the Christian education of youth is an essential part of the evangelizing mission of the Church, since its aim is to give witness to Christ, to transmit faith in Christ, and offer the young opportunities to develop and deepen that faith?
My congratulations to CUSP for this further addition to their excellent series presenting official Church teaching in a readily accessible form on subjects which are of vital interest to Catholics seeking to develop an informed faith.
Pio Cardinal Laghi, Prefect, Congregation for Catholic Education
We have selected for this volume a number of Church documents which date from the turn of the century to the present day. Beginning with the Encyclical Acerbo Nimis, On Teaching Christian Doctrine, issued by Pope Pius X in 1905, and ending with the most recent document from the Pontifical Council for the Family, The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality issued late in 1995, the documents which have been chosen are presented in chronological order. The mission entrusted to the Church by the Lord Jesus and perpetuated in every generation has remained constant: we are to make disciples of all the nations. Sound catechesis is a vital component to this mission. Catechesis is defined in the Catechism of the Catholic Church as “an education in the faith of children, young people, and adults which includes especially the teaching of Christian doctrine imparted, generally speaking, in an organic and systematic way, with a view to initiating the hearers into the fullness of Christian life” (CCC#5).
Table of Contents
- Acerbo Nimis, Encyclical Letter on Teaching Christian Doctrine, Pope St. Pius X, April 15,
- Divine Illius Magistri, Encyclical Letter on the Christian Education of Youth, Pope Pius XI, December 31, 1929
- Vatican Council II, Gravissimum Educationis, Declaration on Christian, October 28, 1965
- Ad Normam Decreti, General Catechetical Directory, Congregation for the clergy, April 11, 1971
- The Catholic School, Congregation for Catholic Education, March 19, 1977
- Catechesi Tradendae, Apostolic Exhortation on Catechesis in Our Times, Pope John Paul II, October 16, 1979
- Les Laics Catholiques, Lay Catholics in Schools: Witnesses to Faith, Congregation for Catholic Education, October 15, 1982
- Educational Guidance in Human Love, Congregation for Catholic Education, November 1, 1983
- The Religious Dimension of Education in a Catholic School, Congregation for Catholic Education, April 7, 1988
- Ex Corde Ecclesia, Apostolic Exhortation on the Mission of a Catholic University, Pope John Paul II, August 15, 1990
- The Truth and Meaning of Human Sexuality, Guidelines for Education Within the Family, Pontifical Council for the Family, December 8, 1995